Documentation to "My Case"

Friday, June 24, 2005

 
November 10, 2003


Professor Robert C. Liebermann
Department of Geosciences
SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794


Dear Bob:

I found out with great disappointment that the Director for the Human Resource Services, Lynn Johnson, has decided not to initiate disciplinary hearings against the four senior faculty members at the Department of Geosciences, including you. I can assure you that I will appeal this decision to the President, Shirley Strum Kenny, and do everything possible to make sure that this hearing will take place. I believe that granting me a fair hearing by an independent panel of scientists is the least this University can do for me, considering my past record of accomplishments and contributions to its reputation. I view the decision by the HR director as another example of stonewalling; I am yet to find a bureaucrat with any interest in truth or justice, not to mention respect for science or compassion for scientists. I also found out that Don Lindsley does not want to act as a mediator. Apparently, he did not feel he had the influence, or was sufficiently motivated, to intervene, since his participation had been only marginal. I asked him to serve as a mediator because he is best qualified to evaluate and interpret my contributions to science, particularly those summarized in my book. He may yet agree to do that, if necessary. Although, I appreciate his effort to set the record straight, I tend to view his letter only as a clumsy attempt at damage control. It would take much more to convince me that my interpretations are incorrect and the evidence is misleading. Enclosed is the supporting documentation. For the first time, for completeness, I am also enclosing my correspondence with the NSF. Most of it concerns the review of my proposal, and thus could remain confidential.

The enclosed documentation shows that the old-boy network now controls the NSF funding and bureaucracy, and, through COMPRES, the high-pressure research in the U.S. It is also clear to me now that the old boys blacklisted me; thus, I am convinced that there is no chance for me to find suitable employment at a university or to secure government funding for my research. You and Don Weidner share full responsibility for this. Although, I may not be able to do anything to change that, I can certainly publicize my plight and educate the public and potential students about the hidden dangers of becoming a scientist in this country. If I were you, and quite a few other people involved, I certainly would not want the enclosed material to appear, for example, on the Internet.

It is possible that when you started persecuting me, the complete destruction of my career in science was not your intended goal, and the consequences of your campaign to silence me just got out of hand as more people became involved. If this is the case and you would like to undo some of the damage, it should be possible for you to use your influence and the enclosed material to negotiate a promotion for me, jointly funded by the University and the NSF, which would be beneficial to both: the University would get a full professor for the price of an assistant professor, and the NSF would save on the overhead. As the newly elected president of COMPRES, you should also be able to convince your friends to come to their senses and get me off the blacklist, and thus make me again eligible, at least in practical terms, for government funding.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.


Sincerely yours,



Tibor Gasparik
Research Associate Professor

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   February 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   June 2008   October 2008   December 2008   February 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?