December 20, 2004
David Horowitz, President
Center for the Study of Popular Culture
4401 Willshire Drive, 4th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Dear Mr. Horowitz,
I am a Research Associate Professor at the Department of Geosciences, SUNY at Stony Brook, and I am writing to you because I believe that I was persecuted for 15 years, then dismissed from a salaried position, refused to be considered for a permanent faculty position, and denied promotion, because I am not a liberal. Although, I retained my position as Research Associate Professor, I am no longer able to obtain research funding, find a university position elsewhere, nor generate any income at the Department. This despite the fact that I am, arguably of course, the top scientist in my field of expertise worldwide, and have recently published a landmark book that has been #1 as the most popular book in Petrology (General) on Amazon.com since January of this year. Based on my scholarly accomplishments, I should be one of the proverbial scientists whose only worry is to decide which job offer by a prestigious university to accept. So much for the myth.
I summarized my case in a series of letters sent between April 2003 and November 2004 to various officials at the NSF and SUNY Stony Brook, and my colleagues at the Department of Geosciences (CD with the documentation is enclosed). They include, at the NSF, the current Deputy Director, Dr. Joseph Bordogna, former Director, Dr. Rita R. Colwell, current Director, Dr. Arden L. Bement, Jr., at SUNY Stony Brook, the Provost Dr. Robert L. McGrath and President, Dr. Shirley Strum Kenny, and also the current Science Advisor to the President, Dr. John H. Marburger, III. The responses to most letters can best be summarized as stonewalling. I believe that I have exhausted all possibilities to settle my case and find a solution within the confines of the scientific establishment, have done everything I could do as an individual, and have no other choice but to ask the conservative community for help.
My first attempt to reach out to the conservative community has been disappointing. I tried to contact The Center for Individual Rights twice, but have not received an answer (see the enclosed). I am well aware of your interest, concerns and contributions to the task of bringing to the attention of the American public the blatant discrimination against conservative scientists in the academia by the liberal scientific establishment; it is at present impossible for a conservative scientist to be hired in a permanent position at an American university, while the scientists from the communist China receive preferential consideration. I am also aware of the outrageous denials and stonewalling, so similar to my experience, that you have received despite the overwhelming evidence that this widespread discrimination against the conservative scientists in the academia nationwide is a well-established fact. Just to mention a few denials that I find particularly outrageous are public statements by highly-placed, well-paid university officials that conservatives are stupid and not interested in research, that the statistical correlation based on your surveys and voting records showing staggering imbalance in favor of liberals among professors at the American universities are not true, that this imbalance apparently is a coincidence, and that you should not be using public voting records to point out this. In fact, it was your surveys that finally made me fully realize what had happened to me and just how extensive is this, let’s not mince the words, liberal conspiracy to take over research and higher education in this country. Although I am not “in the loop,” I have no doubts that the liberal scientific establishment intends to take over, eventually, the whole education system, since they select and educate the elementary and secondary school teachers. In the not so far future, most American children and young adults could be exposed to the liberal propaganda and relentless indoctrination in the liberal values from the kindergarten to college. Just how many of them would still vote for a Republican president after this experience? Already, only 15% of voters at SUNY Stony Brook voted for President Bush. This is extreme even by New York standards.
Considering that the present U. S. Government is too preoccupied with the war on terrorism and, what is viewed, as other more pressing issues, and perhaps too embarrassed to publicly admit the totality of defeat in the area of concern, it is unlikely that it will be eager to take the initiative to address the traditionally low-priority issue of science, and the related issues of discrimination against the conservative scientists and the lack of intellectual diversity in research and higher education. The initiative has to come from below and, in fact, the Government has to be forced by public disclosure to start paying attention to these issues. My main concern is that the current extreme politicization of the research and higher education does not mean just the obvious intolerance to scientists with different political persuasions, but also results in the suppression of alternative viewpoints and thus the lack of balanced approach in research. This is not good for science or education. I am, therefore, making an appeal through you to the conservative community to take or continue the initiative to expose and reverse this blatant aberration of the American values by the liberal scientific elite. This has to be done now; I cannot imagine that such an initiative could succeed under an administration controlled by Democrats. A good start would be a survey to find out and disclose how many registered Republicans work for the National Science Foundation and other federal funding agencies for research.
Please let me know if you and the conservative community are interested in addressing these issues with my help and in using my experience and background to find the best approach to do so.
Sincerely yours,
Tibor Gasparik
Research Associate Professor