Documentation to "My Case"

Friday, June 24, 2005

 
April 20, 2004


Dr. Shirley Strum Kenny, President
The Office of the President
Administration Building, Room 310
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-0701


Dear Dr. Kenny:

I have no choice but to appeal to you the recommendation by the Director of Human Resource Services, Lynn M. Johnson, from October 22, 2003, not to initiate disciplinary hearings against the four senior faculty members of the Department of Geosciences. I do not believe that the Director made a serious effort in addressing my concerns. I have since appealed to the main participants in my persecution at the Department to come to their senses, but without success. My request for help to other faculty members through the departmental Chair, Teng-fong Wong, went unanswered (see the enclosed documentation). Therefore, I am forced to address what I believe is the main reason for my persecution.

Liebermann once told me that the Department was willing to go to great lengths to hire or retain an exceptional individual, no matter what was his or her field of expertise or the need of the Department for that expertise, as was the case in convincing Teng-fong Wong to stay at SUNY Stony Brook when he was considering leaving for MIT. (Incidentally, his hiring was also the first step in diversifying the Department.) As is clear from the enclosed documentation, the Department has gone to great lengths to get rid of another exceptional individual, who happened to be also a refugee from communism and is currently a registered Republican, despite the fact that, because of Lindsley’s retirement, his field of expertise fits exactly the current needs of the Department. I have spent many years at this Department and I cannot name a single faculty member, other than myself, who is not a liberal. This cannot be an accident. Apparently, the proven commitment of the Department to diversity does not extend to intellectual diversity. Therefore, I believe that I have been persecuted for 15 years because I am not a liberal. I believe that the Department as a group adopted a secret policy of zero tolerance in hiring faculty members who are not liberals. This is, of course, discrimination based on political orientation. Because of this discrimination, I have lost close to $ 200,000 in personal income, my family is suffering, and I have difficulties in supporting the college education of my two sons. In fact, they both applied to SUNY Stony Brook and were rejected.

For the above reasons, I have to renew my request to you to initiate disciplinary hearings to address my persecution and the possible discrimination against me by the Department of Geosciences, based on my political orientation. Because of the nature of this discrimination, I have to insist that at least 50% of the commission members in charge of the disciplinary hearings would consist of registered Republicans.

I hope that you consider my request with the utmost seriousness it deserves, and thank you for your kind attention on this matter. Please confirm receiving this communication.


Sincerely yours,


Tibor Gasparik
Research Associate Professor

Cc.: Teng-fong Wong

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   February 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   June 2008   October 2008   December 2008   February 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?