Documentation to "My Case"

Friday, February 10, 2006

 
X-Lotus-FromDomain: SUNYSB
From: "John Parise"
To: rliebermann@ccmail.sunysb.edu,
"Donald Lindsley" ,
mschoonen@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
cc: GASPARIK@sbmp04.ess.sunysb.edu
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:10:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Garai


Folks

I have had some feedback from Jozsef's talk last Friday. Gene cannot be expected to be aware of the culture within the department - but it is clear from what I have heard about the presentation on Friday that we have to make sure NOW that Jozsef realizes he must find and work whole-heartedly on a project, which can be supervised within the department. I am grateful Gene accepted my invitation to attend the talk - I am very grateful that he demonstrated the kind of gentlemanly and collegial manner both Don L. and I experienced when we were in meetings with him previously. Upon Martin's return (perhaps after the potential graduate students visit) I intend to have the graduate committee meet with Jozsef to explain, once again, what is expected of a graduate student.

John
---------------------- Forwarded by John Parise/CAS on 02/22/99 10:36 AM
---------------------------


Gene Sprouse
02/22/99 09:01 AM

To: John Parise/CAS@SUNYSB
cc:
Subject: Re: Garai (Document link not converted)

John,
He is an enthusiastic guy, but needs STRONG guidance to be channeled into REAL science, where I believe he could contribute if he can be made to follow the rules.

Gene

__________________________________________________________________________________


X-Lotus-FromDomain: SUNYSB
From: "John Parise"
To: Tibor Gasparik
cc: "Robert Liebermann" ,
"Donald Lindsley" ,
"Martin Schoonen"
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:39:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Garai



Tibor

I do intend talking to Jozsef. And I hope not to be discouraging. The correspondence (below) was intended for those most closely related to the issue. It certainly should not have been shown him - and should therefore not have been discouraging - it was intended for his supervisor and the graduate committee. I did not attend the seminar - and I am completely unqualified to discuss nuclear physics. And so we invited Gene Sprouse - someone I regard as a discrete, gentlemanly nuclear physicist. From the reports reaching my ears from a number of sources, it is as well for the reputation of this department and for those who had a hand in his admission (myself especially!) that Jozsef's advertising blitz did not garner more chemists and physicist.

I take Gene's advice to heart and truly hope that Jozsef will find inspiration in an area where he can find collegial encouragement, discussion and challenge WITHIN THIS DEPARTMENT.

John




Tibor Gasparik on 02/24/99 09:27:03 AM

To: John Parise/CAS@SUNYSB
cc:
Subject: Re: Garai



John - thanks for your input. Since you did not attend Jozsef's talk perhaps we should talk a little about his ideas as I see them before continuing with more discouragements.

Tibor

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   February 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   June 2008   October 2008   December 2008   February 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?